Research – Genealogy
My interest in promoting the islands of St Pierre & Miquelon had led me to contribute to several projects:
- From 1994 onwards, a community based website (grandcolombier.com) for people from the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, and compatriots who have emigrated.
- From 1992 onwards, I have contributed and worked on a website designed to promote the tourism industry in Saint-Pierre and Miquelon (st-pierre-et-miquelon.com).
- By publishing research on the History of Cartography and Toponymy: CORMIER M., 1997, Toponymie ancienne et origine des noms Saint-Pierre Miquelon et Langlade. In The Northern Mariner vol. VII. No 1. pp. 29-45.
- By contributing to a poster presentation session at Harvard University during the International History of Cartography Conference in 2003.
- By Participating in Radio (Radio Canada, le bal des internautes, 4th and 11th of April 1996) and Television programs (Panorama de TFO, April 25th 2001)
Several incomplete articles and projects are slated for completion in the near future:
- Cartographie et toponymie des îles Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. De 1579 au traité d’Utrecht.
- Cartographie de Saint-Pierre et Miquelon de William Taverner à la Roche-Poncié 1721 – 1843.
- Histoire des îles Saint-Pierre et Miquelon
Many other issues surrounding the history of the islands have been of interest:
- The mysteries of the Juan de la Cosa map (1500);
- The explorations of Giovani Caboto and the Bristol merchants;
- The Basque presence in Newfoundland;
- Historical cartographic techniques;
- The archives of the American Consulate in Saint-Pierre and Miquelon;
- The history of the Free French and the consequences of the Second World War in Saint-Pïerre and Miquelon;
- The multiple attempts at disposing of the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon by many French governments;
I am interested in the genealogy of the following surnames and geographical locations.
Acadia, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, Lorient, Bordeaux, Nantes, Saint-Malo …
Cormier, Petitpas, Detcheverry, Gaudet, Poirier, Martin, Letousse (Le Touzé), Gaspard, Véron, Vigneault, Boudreau, Coste, Gauthrau, Blanchard, Hébert, Comeau, Bayol, Guérin, Juneau de Haye Descartes, Trahan, Bourgeois, Chiasson, Doucet
Cape Breton, Wexord Co. Ireland, Isle of Skye Scotland
MacKinnon, Daly, Daley, Daily, Cameron, Garret, Carmichael, McLean, Keating, Wilson, Campbell, Gillis, McNeil